View My Stats

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wicked: A Review


Hello, all! I am here to give you my review of Wicked, which I was able to see with my English Honors Class last night on Broadway. Alright, let’s get started!

We left school a little while after it ended, around 2:45. We stop at the Palisades Mall for dinner. We finnaly get to the city at 6:30. We get off the bus, walk a few blocks, and get to the Gershwin Theater. We get seated, get snacks ($7 water bottle!?!?), but the play is delayed for about 20 minutes due to a technical error. Finally, it starts.

The play tells what really happened in Oz. The Good Witch, Glinda, was a snobby, preppy, spoiled girl. The Wicked Witch, Elphaba, was discrimated becuase of her green skin, and hated by her father. One thing leads to another, and when the Wizard wants Elphaba's powers to hurt animals, she refuses, causing her to be considered a "wicked Witch".

So as for my review… I thought it was really good show. Being a person who hates the Wizard of Oz, I didn’t know what to expect. The singing was great, and it was actually pretty funny, something I wasn’t expecting. I especially like the references to Dorothy. Although you never see her, you see Glinda sending her down the Yellow Brick road, as she confesses to herself she was bad at giving directions. When The Wicked Witch of the East sees her sister and asks what she’s doing at her house, the Wicked Witch of the West replies “Well, there’s no place like home”. It’s also cool how everything from the movie and the play comes together in the end, it puts a great perspective on the play. Very well done, it’s become my second favorite play, right after Phantom of the Opera.

So that’s it! After the play, we went home, go back to the school around 12:00AM. I finally went to bed around 1AM, and woke up at 6AM to go back to school. The weird thing is that I’m not tired though.

No comments:

Post a Comment